There’s a reason walking lunges are called a “fitness classic”. Not only are they a powerful tool for building lower body strength and increasing cardiovascular fitness, but they also promote joint mobility and balance. Best of all, walking lunges mimic a natural human movement – walking – but with an added twist that works your body in a new and challenging way. The benefits of walking lunges are enormous, but like any other exercise, the technique is paramount. Performing walking lunges correctly not only enhances your workout results but also protects you from unnecessary strain and injury.
Steps to Properly Perform Walking Lunges:
- Start by standing upright with your feet together.
- Take a step forward with your right foot, landing heel first.
- Lower your body into a lunge by bending both knees until your back knee almost touches the ground and your front thigh is parallel to the floor. Keep your chest upright and shoulders back.
- Push off your front foot, bringing your left foot forward to meet the right, and immediately step into the next lunge.
- Maintain a steady pace, alternating legs with each step.
- Keep your core engaged and avoid leaning forward as you lunge.
- Continue for a specified number of reps or distance.
Risks of Incorrect Technique:
- Knee strain or injury: Incorrect alignment or excessive forward knee movement during the lunge can put undue pressure on the knee joint and ligaments.
- Lower back discomfort: Leaning too far forward or failing to engage the core can strain the lower back muscles.
- Reduced effectiveness: Poor form can decrease the exercise’s efficiency, meaning you may not get the full benefits of walking lunges.
How to Get Started With Walking Lunges:
- Warm-up with 5-10 minutes of brisk walking or light jogging.
- Perform walking lunges for 30 seconds, followed by 30 seconds of rest.
- Repeat for a total of 4-6 rounds.
- Finish with a 5-minute cooldown of slow walking and stretching.
Gradually increase the duration of your walking lunges as you become more comfortable with the exercise.
Walking lunges are an incredibly versatile exercise that can be done almost anywhere – at the park, at the gym, or even at home. If you’re new to walking lunges or want to perfect your technique, we encourage you to book a Free No-Sweat Intro with one of our expert personal trainers at CINCOfit. Located in Cinco Ranch and Katy, TX, our gym offers personal training tailored to your individual needs and goals.