When you’re looking for a versatile and effective exercise to build strength, tone your lower body, and improve overall fitness, there’s nothing quite like the barbell squat. Known as the “king of exercises,” the barbell squat targets multiple muscle groups, from your quadriceps and hamstrings to your glutes and lower back. But, like any exercise, the true value of the barbell squat can only be realized when performed with proper technique. Properly executed squats are a safe and natural human movement, aligning with the functional range of motion our bodies have been designed for. At CINCOfit, we have expert personal trainers ready to guide you through every step of this powerful exercise.
Here are the steps to do the barbell squat correctly:
- Start with your feet shoulder-width apart and your toes pointed slightly outward.
- Place the barbell on your upper traps, gripping it with your hands wider than shoulder-width apart.
- Brace your core and keep your chest up as you begin the squat.
- Lower yourself by pushing your hips back and bending your knees, as if you’re sitting in a chair.
- Keep your knees in line with your toes, and ensure your hips move back and down.
- Go down until your thighs are parallel to the ground or as low as your flexibility allows.
- Push through your heels to return to the starting position.
However, doing the barbell squat incorrectly can lead to:
- Lower Back Strain: If you round your back or lean too far forward, you can strain your lower back muscles.
- Knee Pain: Allowing your knees to cave in or extend past your toes can result in undue stress on your knee joints.
- Reduced Effectiveness: Poor form means you’re not targeting the right muscles, decreasing the squat’s effectiveness.
How to Get Started With the Barbell Squat:
At CINCOfit in Cinco Ranch and Katy, TX, we recommend starting with a simple workout to get you acquainted with the barbell squat. Start with a light weight or even just the barbell to practice your form. Try three sets of 10 squats with a 1-minute rest between sets. As you become more comfortable, you can increase the weight gradually. Remember, proper technique is crucial, so consult one of our expert personal trainers for guidance.
The barbell squat is a powerful and versatile exercise that can strengthen multiple muscle groups, tone your lower body, and improve your overall fitness. However, the true value of this exercise can only be realized when performed with proper technique. At CINCOfit, our expert personal trainers are ready to guide you through every step of this exercise. Join us for a Free No-Sweat Intro to get started with the barbell squat. Book your session now: calendly.com/cincofit